Hello and Happy 2016 friends! I know, it's been a very long time since you've heard from me here. And there's no explanation really other than I really lost steam for writing and blogging and that's the honest truth. It happens, and I've already let it go. In fact, in my New Year's post one year ago today, I said I can do anything, I just can't do everything. And obviously this past year, blogging wasn't a priority. At some point over the last 365 days I started wondering what the hell am I blogging for? Do I want to continue with a blog? Where am I going with my blog? I marinated on it for a while and decided, yes, I do want to continue with my blog, but will make a few changes in the coming months. Which brings me to my 2016 intentions! Last year I set several intentions and I'm happy to say, I was able to bring most of those to fruition. And this year I've got a few more that I hope will bring me as much fulfillment and happiness. So here we go!
1. Learn hand lettering once and for all - This is an ongoing project, a lifetime project actually. And while I took a couple of workshops with the talented Nicole Miyuki and Jenny Rainey, it's true what they say... practice, practice, practice. My problem is, I would much rather wake up and know how to create beautiful lettering. To be continued...
2. Get away from the computer - I've jumped right in for this one and already booked a slot in March at the new Broad museum and I'm already looking forward to it!
3. The 52 Lists Project - I've always been a list person. I enjoy getting everything out of my head and down on paper, it's cathartic and keeps me focused on what I need to do both personally and professionally. Moorea Seal's The 52 Lists Project is something I look forward to doing every week in a cozy spot with a cup of tea.
4. Drink more tea - Because it's good for you and has a soothing quality no matter where, when or how you like it.
5. Learn a new skill - I've been a huge fan of Swedish artist Lotta Jansdotter's work for a long time. So when I saw she was going to be in Los Angeles teaching her surface printing techniques at Poketo, I didn't hesitate to sign up. And just like getting out to The Broad, I'm excited to have the opportunity to learn something completely new with my hands from someone I admire deeply for their extraordinary creative talent!
I wish you all a most enjoyable, healthy and happy 2016! Make it a year to remember and find time to do the things that bring you the most joy, whatever they may be!